by Caroline Kirby
If you’ve been in the real estate game for a while then you’re probably familiar with the idea of purchasing vacant land with the intention of building later on, for many procrastinators that day never comes. And even if you never had plans of building you may be feeling like you should take advantage of your land and put it to good use.
Whether you currently own or are looking for vacant land here are some useful and creative ways to leverage business opportunities with your property.
Make Money Off Your Land
One of the greatest parts of owning land is the ability to receive income from it, take a look at our top 10 ways to do so!
- Holiday Events: You could set up an ice-skating rink during winter months, offer hay rides around Halloween, or even rent out your land to schools for an end of the year field day.
- Storage: If your land is near an airport or harbor you may have hit the jackpot! Reach out to business owners nearby and offer your space for a fee. Another great solution for storage is to offer spots to RV owners; typically, people can’t just park their RV in their driveway so they just need a good space to park (and access to retrieve or drop off).
- Camping: First things first, you should look into what insurance would cost for this type of business, but if you have land in a pretty area or wildlife that’s popular for things like birdwatching you could consider charging $20-30 a night for camping spots and make quick, easy cash through this venture.
- Community Gardening: Have a good size plot that’s a little too big for you to manage on your own? Speak to local government officials to get the OK and then contact friends, family, and neighbors about creating a community garden. You can always donate or sell the extra fruits and vegetables.
- Tiny Houses: Join the tiny house movement by building one (or a couple) and renting them out on sites like Airbnb or simply use for yourself or lend to loved ones for weekend getaways.
- Recreation: If you have the means, building a race track or course for BMX, dirt bikes, and ATVs could be a fun way to see some income. If you want a little less adrenaline you could set up your own paintball course and host tournaments.
- Off-grid Living: Much like the tiny house movement there are many people looking to move off the grid. They want a simpler way of life that doesn’t keep them tied to utilities or mortgages. See if there’s interest in your land and rent out to those looking to disconnect.
- Beekeeping: This is an industry that requires a lot of space for safe operation and function.
- Artisan Market: You could do weekly or monthly events where local artists set up a market and can sell their products. This is really only feasible for land not too far from town.
- Horse Stables: Many people own, or want to own, horses yet lack the proper land to house them. Building stables on your property and allowing horse owners to use your accommodation or build their own could earn you top dollar—especially if you live near metropolitan areas. Additionally, you could just charge for people using the land to ride.
What do you think of our ideas? Would you add anything else to the list? If you found a few good ideas to start making money off your property or you’re feeling inspired to buy land take a look at all of our listings here. We’ve made it easy by sorting our properties by category, location, and even price.